I just scrolled back through my blog entries to see when was the last time I mentioned about this large piece that I have been working on.... February
! Geez, how time flies... I thought that perhaps I have mentioned it since, not here, but I did on Instagram
Perhaps I wrote about it so few times because the progress on it has not only been slow (hand-stitching!) and also in fits and starts. Weeks went by between bursts of activity as I pondered where to take it next. I layered imagery of my beloved fire escapes one at a time, slowly, in what turned out to be a slightly abstracted composition.
Late last night I took the last few stitches and declared it finished. Haven't taken any official pictures yet, I intend to do so next week, so meanwhile here is a whole slew of closeups! Presenting a peek at Iron Spine 5XL.
It measures 77"x 51". The base is an old linen sheet that has served my family so well that it's threadbare in spots. ( I have a few more of those rescued for future stitching.) It has layers upon layers of repurposed plastic bags stitched to it by hand, a few dryer sheets, and some vintage lace. I've used a variety of threads: rayon, linen, cotton and paper pine which was snow-dyed eons ago.
Believe it or not, I cannot wait to get started on the next threadbare sheet..... I think I know exactly what I want to do to it!